Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Reader Comments

I get a lot of reader comments. Not even 1% of the people that download send comments, but that is still a lot of comment.

I really enjoy the comments. I've been having sexual fantasies since I was 12, and I've had lurid, extended ones since my late teens. But I never wrote them down, and I never felt the need to, not even to Penthouse Forum.

Over the last few years I've enjoyed the stuff I read on the net. I've thought that my fantasies were as good. Then one day I was in my hotel room, and I got a knock on the door. It was a woman coming to the wrong room looking for a party, and nothing happened, except, or course, in my mind. I had generated this extensive fantasy, and I realized, "Hey, here I am with lots of time to kill, a laptop, and a fantasy," so I wrote my first story.

It wasn't very good, the grammar was awful and I never completed it. Nonetheless, people liked it! And more importantly, they told me. So I whipped out my favorite fantasies and wrote Tired. It was a LOT longer than I anticipated when I started, but with help from Peter Z (editors are a REALLY good thing), it got pretty good. And people liked it a lot. I got lots of comments, and many suggestions.

Reader comments come in a number of varieties. Most are 'great story' or 'keep it coming'. Those are gratifying to get, but the ones that tell me what they liked about the stories are even better, though few and far between.

I also get a lot of suggestions for what people would like to see, or conversely, telling me what they've seen but wish that they hadn't.

For the former, I use quite a few of them, sadly usually un-credited, because the thought enters my brain and becomes the property of the characters, or because it was sent anonymously, or because I worry that people wouldn't want their names in lights. Just a note: if you give me an idea and would like to be credited if I use it, let me know!

Many of the ideas I get I don't use, either because I can't work it in (though in those cases, they often find their way into another story), or because they just don't fit the character (the protagonist of Tired will NOT kill and eat his slaves).

For the people who don't like what they say, I appreciate their thoughts, but it is my story and my fetishes, so they will see those things. I hope that it is not so overbearing that I lose my readers.

The things that I would like to hear most from my readers are how the story affected them. Much of what I right is pure fantasy, and I have had no real experience with the act. If you do, and the story makes you feel like its right on, or completely off, let me know, and let me know why. It will improve me in the future.

The other thing I'd like to hear is how people with a different view than I do think of my stories. I'll let it out, if it's not already obvious: I am a male, and I have a certain world view. As such, I don't really know if I am doing justice to the other views that I represent in the story. So if you are sub female, let me know if the story resonates, or is a pile of crap.

All that said, I am one of the worst offenders. I read a lot of the stories posted in this forum, and I have an awful track record of sending comments, even to the ones that I really enjoy. When I do send comments, they tend to be of the 'great story' variety. Sigh.

I resolve to send more comments! I hope you do to.

M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home