Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Completed vs In Progress Stories

The typical mail that I get is a one liner expressing satisfaction with the story, or a paragraph pointing out a particular scene or theme that I've pleased the reader with. I love those; keep them coming! Feed my monstrous ego!

Occasionally, however, I get a long, carefully though out email about a particular topic. I got one of these recently, and one of the points touched upon was whether it was more or less difficult to complete as story before I begin posting it.

I am actually of two minds about this. Before Growing, I wrote the stories on the fly. As a result, I got many suggestions, quite a few of which made it into the story. I think this made it a better story. On the other hand, lately I've been having trouble finding time to write. Growing took over a year to finish, not because of it's length or the depth of research that I had to do, but because there was nearly a year between that it lay untouched.

I personally find it difficult to follow a story when there are weeks or months between postings. Given that I don't know when or if I'm going to finish it, I just figured that I'd do it all first, then I'd know that the end was coming.

As I said, I'm torn over which way to go. I do know that I've gotten good suggestions on things to add to Growing that I can't add, because it would be too hard to fit into the completed story. So I guess that in the future, I'll have to play it by ear, and try to decide if I really have the wherewithal to finish it on the fly.

M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home