Saturday, September 30, 2006

Growing Chapter 10 (Gemma)

I've gotten more comments about Chapter 10 than all the other chapters, most particularly on the fact that Jake allowed Gemma to take control, or dictate terms. That really surprised me, although I guess it shouldn't have.

To me, just because someone is dominant does not mean that they require everything to be completely under their control. As Jake's dad said, there is a spectrum, and people all the way on that side, people who have to be control of everything around them, are more meglomaniac than dominant.

I think that Jake's allowing Gemma to set the terms of their relationship, particularly terms that he was quite willing to accept, was well within his personality. I don't feel that every activity is one that defines dominance and submissiveness; one can be dominant while still listening to others ideas.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with you about Jake. He is only as dominant as the individual relationship requires. With his father he is not dominant, with his mother and Girl, his role has changed as he has developed and with Helen, Gemma, Katheryn/Cat, Cheryl etc his level of dominance changes to suit the person's role or requirements. This is the sign of a balanced and mature personality rather than an egocentric mind-controller type.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home