Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Different Strokes for Different Folks

One of the most interesting things that I find from the comments that I receive is how many people expect every person that one of my protagonists come across to turn out to be a closet submissive. I hate to disappoint people, but as I've said, there are people all across the spectrum, and sometimes one of the characters that seems to be a bit more dominant will end up remaining a bit more dominant. I think that's the way it is in real life, and I think in a fantasy world, there is nothing wrong with that.

While I love the concept of the undiscovered sub as much as anyone (as you might be able to tell :) ), I also believe that there can be interesting interactions between two dominant personalities. Sure, sometimes they will clash, but they can also find some very interesting common ground.

You can read into this whatever you'd like.
M.

1 Comments:

Blogger msilsby said...

I agree.

One of my favourite set of d/s stories is that by an author by the name of Captv8ted (http://www.bdsmlibrary.com/stories/author.php?authorid=907)

I found that the stories that she wrote were very interesting due to the role reversals that often happened. For example, quite often the top would become a bottome for a while, always reluctently, yet voluntarily. Although probably not a great literacy feat, it often provided an interesting twist, often allowing the story to progress in a way that was unexpected. I also loved the fact that quite often you would find the stories interacting with each other. Also, quite often, it took a lot of work on behalf of the dom to get the sub to realise their desire to be a sub. It made it more of a challenge, I beleive to write, but made it very enjoyable to read.

I agree with your reluctance (or reality, I suppose) to reveal every character as a closet submissive, and have particularly enjoyed how in "tired of being the nice guy" you have the characters often fighting an internal battle between sub and dom.

I am particularly interested to see how the character "helen" in your current story "growing up a master" develops, as I have been feeling a growing tension between her and her sibling/mother and Jake. The possibilites are endless!

Keep up the good work!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home